Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Doula

I ran into Kim Bates this weekend, who I've been meaning to ask to be our doula. I have thought awhile about whether or not we should have one, and I just finally decided (also after going to the class on doulas a couple weeks ago at Barnes and Noble) that we should. The benefit of having a doula is that they are the emotional support behind labor. The doctor or midwife is there to oversee all the medical aspects of labor and birth. The doula is there to talk you through the pain, encourage you, massage you where you need it. Another important job of a doula is to be the liaison between you and the doctor, expressing your birth plan to them and making sure they stick to it. The woman is in no condition to fight for her intended plan, when she's in that much pain. I'm not too worried about this, as I have a great midwife, that will thoroughly know my birth plan, and will listen to me. But the other main reason why I'd like a doula is that she can do all the things that a husband might otherwise get stuck with. George doesn't need to be worrying about massaging me, going to get and communicating with the nurse, getting me food, etc. etc. etc. He's there to be the father and watch the birth, and be there to support me when I need him. The doula also helps with nursing, and other post-birth things. Anyway, I'm really excited to have Kim, as she is my friend Amy's sister, and I've know her for like 15 years. I feel very comfortable with her - she's very motherly and nurturing - just what I wanted! Anyway, I'm excited!

3 comments:

  1. Does it mean I am old, when you say I am very motherly??? :)! I am very honored that you asked, and I can't wait until April!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No - you're not old! You were motherly even in high school - it's just your nature! I was wondering who snobord147 was - I'm glad you revealed yourself! I am thrilled to have you, and I can't wait until April too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm excited for you too Kim! To work with Tara! I don't think she could have a better "Doula!" YAY for April!

    ReplyDelete