Friday, May 30, 2014

Nursing/Milk Supply/Nap and Nighttime Routine

We are in a good routine now of Greta and Georgie waking up around 630 in the morning, which is really early, but we try to push it later and we just can't seem to make them sleep later. And since they're in the same room now, when one gets up, pretty much the other one wakes up to. But got a nurses first thing in the morning, then she goes down for her first nap around two hours after she wakes up usually give or take. Then after that nap she eats by nursing, then I feed her solids, then I usually wait a little while and change her diaper. Then she goes down for her second nap around 2 1/2 hours after that nap ends. She usually naps for around an hour and 15 minutes, give or take. That is, for her morning as well as her mid day nap. Then she eats again after that nap nursing, then solids, wait a little while and change her diaper. Then she usually goes down for her last nap around three hours after that second nap. It usually falls somewhere between 430 and 530 – when she goes down. That nap is usually only half an hour and sustains her until a fairly late bedtime for her age. But we have to continue the three naps for now, if we want to keep putting them to bed around the same time. We usually end up putting them down sometime between 745 and 830. It doesn't always work out, and sometimes we have to put Georgie down first and wait till he falls asleep and then put her down and very occasionally, sometimes The opposite. It's probably not an early enough bedtime for her, and she should probably only be doing two naps at this point, but it works for our family. As far as my milk supply, it has definitely continued to slow, but sustain her okay for now. I decided to get on the domperidone again (I was on it a couple months ago too - it's only a two week supply), to try to build up my supply and possibly pump and stores time. But I haven't really been able to pump much more than she needs, so we'll see how it goes when I stop. I also just started my period for the first time, and that can impact milk supply drastically, so I'm glad that I am on the domperidone right now. An interesting and ironic thing is that I started the Arbonne 20 day cleanse on May 19 and just about four days later I started my first period, and about a week and a half later I got my first cold of the season. I still have it and it is a decent one – meaning I'm usually able to kick it but I haven't really been able to kick this one. Anyway, our routine right now is; George gets Georgie changed into his pajamas and greets to him while I get Greta changed into her jammies or just change her diaper, and nursed her one last time, as well as give her a 2 to 2 1/2 ounce bottle, after I nurse her, but in the last few days I have discontinued giving her the bottle, and she's still sleeping through the night. The reason I have not discontinued giving her the bottle was because I thought that was sustaining her, but once we really trained her to sleep the night, she's been okay without it. I just make sure I give her lots of solids for dinner. Oh yeah – we do the same routine after her last nap - I nursed her, usually, and then we eat dinner together and I give her her dinner solid thing. It's usually not too long after that that we start the timer Tina Niners her again, with what little I still have. For a couple months I really was freaking out about my low milk supply, but she is getting old enough now and eating more and more solids to where it is not as big of a deal but I don't produce very much. I think ideally she should probably be getting more breast milk/formula, but hope you're doing seems to be working and we haven't had to spend the money on formula which is been nice. I do still have a few more bags of pumped milk stored in the freezer that does not contain Gary, from the first time I took domperidone. I am really just trying to hang on until she turns one, and then we can supplement her with an alternative milk (possibly not cow's if she does have a milk intolerance). Him not totally opposed to supplementing her with the Dairy Free formula right now, except that I do sometimes feel like she really kind of starts preferring the bottle over the breast, when I'm giving her more bottles. And I don't want her to wean herself entirely from nursing, because I still have at least something to offer her. Plus, breastmilk is always better than formula no matter what, and they do have some, so we figure it's almost a wash between buying formula and buying the $68 domperidone every two weeks, or maybe just once to month, because I think I can float it for two weeks out of the month without the domperidone.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment