So, after reading my book, What To Expect Before You're Expecting, there are a few things I need to start observing, seeing as how we are going to start trying to get pregnant NEXT WEEK!!! I still can't believe it. I feel like I have to keep pinching myself that after all this time - like 10 years, and then more strongly the last 2 years, and then REALLY strongly the last year, after all the counting down of years and then months, then weeks, and now days, I really CAN'T BELIEVE that we are starting to try NEXT WEEK! AHHHHHHHH! NEXT WEEK!!!!!! I do realize that it might take a few months (and I'm prepping myself for this very real reality), but still, we're closer than we've ever been, to EXPECTING!!! So, I'm blogging about the things that it's now (and in some cases overdue) time to act on, now that we're trying. I take everything about pregnancy very seriously, and want to do everything 'right'. So, here are some lifestyle changes that I've read about (in my book and other sources) that I need to now implement:
1. Less than 200 mg caffeine/day (12 oz. of coffee, 6 cans of soda - not gonna happen!, 2 shots of espresso, 4 cups of tea, energy drinks, chocolate) - probably will just cut this out all together, or at least do decaf.
2. Some herbal teas
3. Limited green tea (one cup only), as it limits the effectiveness of folic acid, NECESSARY to baby!
4. George needs to limit his drinking and not ride his bike!
5. Exercise (but no more than 30 min. a day of aerobic activity)
6. Don't stress.
7. Start looking for a midwife
8. Sleep good, and discontinue my sleep aids
9. Do a will (decide who will get custody of the baby in the unlikely even that G and I die)
10. Take prenatal vitamins (which I already am!)
Eating:
1. Some evidence that higher fat versions of dairy products boost fertility. Hmm...maybe I should start drinking 2% or whole milk?
2. Bone up on calcium - helps with fertility (I should eat more yogurt, cottage cheese, drink more milk, almonds, green leafy veggies, soy, cheese etc.) - also helps strengthen the baby's teeth and bones, and muscle, heart, and nerve development. I need 3 servings a day (1/4 c. shredded cheese, one cup milk or calcium-fortified juice, one cup yogurt, 1 1/2 c. frozen yogurt, 1 1/2 c. cooked edamame)
3. Get 2-3 servings of protein a day (at least one should be a plant protein), but it needs to be LEAN meat (and a serving is about the size of a computer mouse), or from a plant source (1 1/2 c. cooked beans, 1 c. edamame or quinoa, 3 oz. peanuts, 6 oz. nuts - walnuts, pecans, almonds). Too much high-fat protein may hurt fertility
4. Get plenty of iron (iron deficiency can affect fertility) - lean meats, dried beans, dried apricots, oatmeal, and leafy veggies (collard greens, kale, spinach)
5. Eating complex carbs (whole grains, beans, fruits and veggies) may increase fertility compared with simple carbs. Eat 6 servings whole grains (one slice whole wheat bread, 1 cup whole-grain cereal, 1/2 c. couscous, barley, brown rice, quinoa, 1 oz. (before cooking) whole grain pasta, 1/2 c. beans or edamame); 2-4 servings fruits (1/2 grapefruit, orange, mango, 1/2 c. berries, 6 dried apricot halves, 1 banana, 1/2 c. fruit juice, 2 plums, 1 apple or pear); 3-5 servings veggies (1/4 bell pepper, 1/2 c. broccoli, 1 c. raw spinach or green leafy lettuce, 1/2 carrot or sweet potato, 1 1/2 c. raw mushrooms, 1/2 c. cooked zucchini)
6. Take DHA omega 3 fatty acids - essential for brain and eye development (and right now, before baby's on board, they help regulate my hormones, making ovulation more consistent. Supplement, walnuts, seeds, flaxseed, flaxseed oil, chicken, arugula)
7. Eating organically isn't necessary, but there can be advantages. If I have to pick and choose, buy my meats and dairy products organic, as well as apples, cherries, grapes, peaches, nectarines, pears, raspberries, strawberries, bell peppers, celery, potatoes, and spinach (those use more pesticides than others)
Old Wives Tales that Supposedly Help Fertility (take with a grain of salt!):
1. Yams (possibly help for twins?!!)
2. Nuts and seeds
3. Berries (blueberries and raspberries)
Fertility UNFRIENDLY foods:
1. Mercury (in fish) - small amounts of certain fish are okay, but I'm going to just avoid it altogether. Salmon is OKAY if it's less than 12 oz. a WEEK
2. Limit trans fat and saturated fat
3. Too much sugar (can disrupt the reproductive hormones)
4. Refined grains (white carbs)
Wednesday, July 7, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


HOW are you going to keep track of all of this?!?!?
ReplyDelete