Sunday, April 7, 2013
Baby GRETTA is Coming!
So, here's the story on the gender reveal! We had our ultrasound on Thursday March 21st in the afternoon. We were preparing to leave, and I was trying to hurry, running through the house, tripped on a box, and took a HARD fall, that knocked the wind out of me! It hurt. I was so focused on avoiding hitting my belly, that I contorted my body, bending my right arm back really far (hurt my elbow and shoulder), and twisting my lower back so that it really hurt my left tailbone. I was lying in a pile, hyperventilating because I felt like I just COULDN'T catch my breath. Because of the hyperventilating, after a minute or so I started getting really lightheaded, and knew I was about to faint (it's happened a few times now, so I know when it's coming!). I was just REALLY lightheaded and when I would even attempt to stand (or even move really), I would start to blackout, so I had to lay down and stay really still. It was SOOOOOOOO frustrating, because I wanted to get up sooooooo bad so we could leave. We were already running SLIGHTLY late (like always). G was frustrated bc I fell, and worried, and trying to get g packed up and loaded. I felt so trapped and sad and frustrated. I knew there was nothing I could do, but wait it out. After a few minutes, I finally got up and went to the computer to do something (can't remember?), and that distracted me enough (I do think it was the distraction that helped), to where I was feeling better. We finally all got in the car, and then ran right into a road closure on 7th St. (bc of a gas leak that happened a couple days before). Uggggghhhhh! I was SOOOOO sooooo frustrated and sad. We were so late. I was like shaking, trying not to cry. So we had to go all the way around (a pretty far detour), and FINALLY got to the dr. My mom and Ted and Janae were there already, and luckily I had talked to my mom on the phone and explained everything, so she was able to tell the front desk why I was running so late. They were nice and understanding. We went right upstairs to the office that Mesa Midwives works with (an OB office) and got in pretty quickly. We all piled in the room and they 'prepped' me. I was just nervous and distracted. A fairly unfriendly Dr. Tracy Simms walked in. She was pretty dry and didn't say much. Not rude, just kindof rushed (probably bc I was late) and 'routine'. Ruth Ann came in shortly after she started. She was going through all the body parts and routine stuff. It was hard to pay attention to all that, bc I really just wanted to know the sex. Tracy said "I save that for last, because otherwise no one would really listen to the other stuff I'm saying". I was thinking "If you would just tell me the sex first, then I would actually LISTEN to everything else you're saying!" I couldn't really focus, and was trying to see if I could see a 'pee-pee'!!!! Anyway, she finally got to that and was looking around. I could tell it was the legs, and I didn't see anything between them, but I didn't really know. I said something like "so can you tell yet, or is it hard to tell?" She said - "I'm pretty sure - just making sure". She said "what do you have already?" I said "a boy". She said "I'm pretty sure it's a girl." I was pretty much in shock and honestly didn't really feel like I believed her! I was just so shaken up from all the lead-up. There was other small talk, and I thought we were still gonna do more (and I wanted to ask about the 'hamburger', but didn't really think of it), and she just shut the machine down and wrapped up. She then walked out. I confided in Ruth Ann what a horrible last hour I had had, and started crying. She was sweet and very understanding. We didn't get to hear the heartbeat like with Georgie. Before Dr. Simms left, I asked her what percentage she was sure it was a girl, and she said "oh 90-95%". RuthAnn said "you never really know 100% Tara until they're born". Anyway, I was just nervous and unconvinced. It was so different than with Georgie - I could see his 'pee-pee' really well, and there was really no doubt or question! It was so much less 'for sure' with this one! I was cautiously sooooooo happy that it was probably a girl though.
So after we left, I just felt a little disappointed and unsatisfied. I remembered that my friend Jayme Weldon and Kristen Latham said they had taken an over-the-counter pee test that came out right for all 4 pregnancies (two each) they had done it for. I had decided not to do it before the ultrasound, bc I knew that would be more reliable, and I didn't want to spend the money on it since I was getting the ultrasound. But now, since I was unsure, I revisited the idea. I decided to do it on that next Sunday morning. (looked for it at walmart, then finally found it at Rite-aid - $40!) When I did it, it came back clearly 'BOY'!!! So now I was really unsure, frustrated, and sad. So I told George "I just want to pay and get another ultrasound, that's less rushed, and with a different tech". He said that was fine. So Monday I called RuthAnn and told her my feelings and about the test. She seemed a little annoyed, and I felt bad, but I didn't care because it was worth it to me. So we scheduled it for that Friday morning, with Dr. Hackett (RuthAnn suggested him in the first place - that's all he does, and she said he was really good). So we went there Friday, and Janae was able to meet us so she could watch Georgie in the lobby. My mom was out of town, so it was just G and I in the room, which was actually really nice. Janet Grant was the midwife on call, so RuthAnn wasn't there (which I was a little grateful for, bc I didn't want her to be annoyed). Anyway, Dr. Hackett was really calm and cool, but nice, and very thorough. He knew it was our second ultrasound and we weren't very pleased with the first, so he was very thorough. It was so much better of an experience. He took better pictures, let us hear the heartbeat, and showed us the 'hamburger' (well, the best view he could get of it anyway!). Him and Janet were pretty much 100% it was a girl - I was SOOOOOOOOO RELIEVED!!!!! I was so grateful to get this second opinion and have a better experience (be it $200 later!). Anyway, at first and even still sometimes, I doubt it being a girl. For some reason I feel like it's too good to be true that everything went 'as planned' for us. But God is good and faithful, and this was His desire for us. I think I will still have a small amount of doubt until she is born, but for now we refer the baby as HER, and usually Gretta (we weren't 100% about the name, just in case she absolutely doesn't look like a Gretta, but now we usually call her Gretta, so it will probably be Gretta no matter what!). We are keeping it off facebook and only telling friends (although I've told pretty much any friends that have asked me in person! We thought it would be a little fun to leave at least SOMETHING a LITTLE bit of a secret (since EVERYONE knew what Georgie's name would be!). Anyway, I'm soooooo elated to have one of each! Praise God!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment